Visual Studio Code is an open source editor from Microsoft. VHDL-Tool makes its services available to VS Code through the Language Server Protocol.
Find the plugin by searching for VHDL in the extensions sidebar, or go to the online marketplace. Follow the instructions in the readme.
- F12 - go to definition
- Shift-F12 - find references
- Ctrl-Shift-o - find symbol in current file
- Ctrl-t global project symbol search
- Syntax checking occurs on save
- Autocompletion happens automatically when you type
- Linting and type checking occur on save (premium version only)
- Hover your mouse over an identifier for type information (premium version only)
Make sure vhdl-tool is configured properly by running vhdl-tool check-config in the directory containing the configuration file.